Parts of the Museum are located on what was once the “Anhalter Bahnhof” freight depot and maintenance facility. The buildings were designed by Franz Schwechten, who was also the architect of Berlin’s Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. The landmarked Engine Sheds, where the Rail Transport exhibition is now located, date to 1874. The preserved east side of the station building now houses the Science Center Spectrum, whereas the depot storage rooms behind it host the Road Transport exhibition (called “On the Move”) and “The Network.”
The historic building on Trebbiner Straße that now serves as the Museum’s main entrance was built around 1908 as a residence, factory, horse stable, and office building for Carl Linde’s Markt- und Kühlhallengesellschaft, a producer of block ice. The Museum’s Förderverein (supporting association) had its first office here. Thanks to the efforts of this supporting organization, in 1980 the entrance building started being transformed into exhibition and office space for the museum of technology then being planned.
The New Building opened in 2001. It was designed by Berlin architects Ulrich Wolff and Helge Pitz. Its 12,000 square meters of space, divided over four levels, house the Shipping and Aviation exhibitions, as well as the collection that once belonged to the Zucker-Museum. A Douglas C-47B Skytrain, known to Berliners as a Rosinenbomber (Raisin Bomber), is suspended over the terrace and has become the symbol of the Deutsches Technikmuseum.
In the near future, we plan to build a new main entrance between the Science Center and the main building. It will both welcome visitors and connect the Museum’s existing buildings.
The twelve-hectare Museum Park is something special. It contains a historic brewery, functioning windmills, and a working forge – complete with a waterwheel. In addition, it provides visitors with a beautiful natural setting where they can take a stroll and relax. It’s a green oasis in the middle of Berlin.